Lorine Pendleton is a seasoned business development executive with extensive experience in the legal, internet/new media and entertainment industries. She is the US Director of Business Development for the largest global law firm in the world. She is also an active angel investor who invests and advises women and minority-led companies.
In this episode, I asked Lorine these questions:
- What was your dream as a child? Did you always have dreams of being a lawyer?
- What are the biggest things you learned about yourself in your time at Londell McMillan PC?
- Why transition from being a practicing attorney to your present role with Dentons?
- Do you have mentors today?
- When did you begin learning about the process of being an investor?
- Explain what an angel investor is and does?
- What are the most important metrics that you’re looking for as an angel and that help you decide whether you’re going to take action and invest with a founder?
- How do you keep from falling into and getting stuck in comfort zones with work? What do you do to push yourself to new and higher heights?
- Share a couple fundamental lessons that black women and minority founders need to know, to grow their business and raise funds.
- [00:00] – What can we look forward to with you? Are there any big dreams and goals on your vision board for the next 10 years and beyond that you’d care to share with us?
Lorine shares 8 alternate sources to seek funding beyond traditional angel / venture capital (V.C.) funding:
Links and resources mentioned:
- Lorine Pendleton on Twitter
- Lorine Pendleton on LinkedIn
- Lorine’s article on Black Enterprise
- Lorine – AngelList
- Lorine’s Fav Resources: Evernote
- Lorine’s Fav Book:
Lorine Pendleton’s Bio
Lorine Pendlenton is a seasoned business development executive with extensive experience in the legal, internet/new media and entertainment industries. She is the US Director of Business Development for the largest global law firm in the world. She previously worked at Simpson Thacher, one of the oldest and most prestigious law firms in the US. Previous stints include working at a number of startups such as SelectMinds, developer of web-based social network programs for corporations acquired by Oracle and Community Connect, the publisher of the leading ethnic social networking websites BlackPlanet, AsianAvenue, and MiGente, acquired by Interactive One.
She is a former practicing attorney at Londell McMillan PC, a leading entertainment boutique law firm, where she structured and negotiated multifaceted entertainment and media deals on behalf of her clients such as Prince, Spike Lee, Ruff Ryders Records, Faith Evans, Stevie Wonder and Chaka Khan.
Lorine is an active angel investor who invests and advises women and minority led companies. Her portfolio includes Cisse Trading, Traklight, Hire an Esquire and Nextwave Rising Tide Fund. She is an alumna of Pipeline Angels, an angel investing bootcamp which trains women to become angel investors and increase diversity in the US angel investing community.
Lorine served on the board of directors for the National Black Programming Consortium, which provides funds and distributes films and TB programs relating to African Americans with principal funding from the Corporation for Public Broadcasting/PBS. She also served on the board of Living Labs Foundation, which organized the TEDxHarlem conference in Harlem in 2012. She was named by Marie Claire in its 2nd Annual New Guard feature as one of the “50 Most Connected Women in America” and named “20 Angel Investors You Should Know” by Black Enterprise. She has been featured in numerous publications including Fast Company and Forbes. She frequently speaks about entrepreneurship, and raising capital and has previously spoken at Columbia Business School, PriceWaterhouseCoopers and Brown.
She received her JD from New York Law School and her BA in Economics from Brown University.
Thanks for Listening!
We appreciate you visiting our site today and for helping to bring awareness to the Trailblazers.FM podcast.
Finally, don’t forget to subscribe to get automatic updates! It’s free!