Tyvi’s Summary Bio:
My guest on today’s episode is Tyvi Small, the Director of Diversity & Community Relations at the University of Tennessee Knoxville. His advice in this session, will help you with building diverse connections, overcoming fears, developing relationships and he also shares the importance of blooming where you are planted and mentoring & sponsoring others in our community.
- Tyvi graduated from the University of South Florida with a Bachelor’s Degree in Communications and a Master’s Degree in Education
- He’s currently a Ph.D. candidate at the University of Tennessee, Knoxville
- Prior to his time in Knoxville, he was the Education Coordinator and Assistant to the Mayor for the City of West Palm Beach, FL
- Tyvi is also very involved in his community:
- He serves on the board of directors of the Knoxville Area Urban League and Leadership Knoxville
- He’s an active member and board member of the Knoxville Alumni Chapter of Kappa Alpha Psi Fraternity Inc.
- He’s also a board member of the Development Corporation of Knox County
In this episode, we discussed:
- [03:30] – What Tyvi does within his role at the University
- [09:15] – His advice on getting a board of directors, mentors and sponsors
- 11:15 – An example of how his sponsor, Phyllis Nichols, helped his growth by connecting him with others of influence
- [19:40] – Tyvi’s fear of public speaking and how he overcame it
- 21:00 – Lessons he learned from Susan Packard, Co-Founder of HGTV at the Women in Business Summit
- [28:50] – The two people he’d most like to have dinner with, alive or from the history books
- [33:00] – How the decision to attend college turned into a defining moment on his journey
- [34:45] – Dr. Samuel Wright’s influence on us both attending the University of South Florida
- [35:25] – Some of the things Tyvi does to keep from getting stuck in comfort zones
- [36:45] – Setting, writing and looking at your goals and getting accountability partners to realize your goals
- [39:20] – Fundamental lessons to lead his team
- [46:20] – Why it’s important to volunteer & give back
- [47:00] – Blooming where you’re planted [spp-timestamp time="47:00"]
Links and resources mentioned:
- Tyvi Small – University of Tennessee page
- Tyvi’s Fav Books:
Thanks for Listening!
We appreciate you visiting our site today and for helping to bring awareness to the Trailblazers.FM podcast.
Finally, don’t forget to subscribe to get automatic updates! It’s free!